October 28, 2010
Family Vacation to South Dakota
We had a great family vacation to South Dakota. I had never been to SD and Dave had been several times with his family as a kid. It was fun for me to go to a new place. It was fun for Dave to take our kids to a place he used to vacation.
On the way home we stayed with Quentin and Suzy. We canned applesauce and enjoyed their company. Here is Jade showing off for her grandparents.
We visited the Mammoth Site of Hot Springs. This archaeological site has the largest deposit of mammoth bones found in North America. The bones mostly belong to the Columbian Mammoth which stood 13 feet at the shoulders. In the picture Layla and I are standing next to a life sized cutout of a Columbian Mammoth.
Wind Cave National Park was fun. We went on the one hour long tour. Layla and Jade were the youngest people in the cave. Most others were over 50. Layla talked through a lot of the tour. She could be easily heard by everyone. At first she was afraid to be in the cave. But pretty soon she was enjoying all the stairs that she got to climb. At one point we were walking at the end of the tour group. Layla said "Mama toot!" I knew she was referring to the woman in front of us because I could smell something not so pleasant. Poor Layla's nose was right at bum level. Unfortunately for me Layla will sometime call any woman "mama" and any man "daddy." So I think everyone in the tour probably thought I was releasing gas down in the cave.
Custer State Park was the highlight of the trip. It is sort of a wildlife refuge. We drove through herds of bison, donkeys, and pronghorns. We also mountain goats and bighorn sheep. The donkeys tried to put their faces into our car. This terrified Layla. I put this video up on facebook.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
We went this spring to South Dakota. My family went once my Senior Year! I have decided that everyone needs to go there, it really is great. Glad you went! We didn't spend much time in Custer, but I think we will next time we go. I do remember the donkeys though from when I was young.
That simed like a fun trip.
Post a Comment