I checked on the Tale of Despeeraux by Kate DiCamillo on Thursday. I read it in one day. It is a fun little fairy tale with a good message. I wanted to share an excerpt from it. Don't worry this is at the very beginning of the book so there is no spoiler.
"Do you hear that sweet, sweet sound?" he said.
"I hear the sound of cake crumbs falling out of people's mouths and hitting the floor," said his borther Toulese. "That's what I hear."
"No . . . .," said Despereaux. "It's something else. It sounds like . . . um . . . honey."
"You might have big ears," said Toulese, "but they're not attached right to your brain. You don't hear honey. You smell honey. When there's honey to smell. Which there isn't."
. . . But, reader, he was not smelling. He was listening, with his big ears, to the sweet sound that no other mouse seemed to hear.
. . . Despereaux's borthers and sisters soon abandoned the thankless task of trying to educate him in the ways of being a mouse. And so Despereaux was free. He spent his days as he wanted: He wandered through the rooms of the castle, staring dreamily at the light streaming in through the stained-glass windows. He went to the library and read over and over again the story of the fair maiden and the knight who rescued her. Ane he discovered, finally, the source of the honey-sweet sound.
The sound was music.
1 comment:
Great book. :D Your girls are beautiful!!!
Post a Comment