March 16, 2011

Frogs eyes and mandibular raking

Have I mentioned that my Functional Morphology class is fascinating. Here are a few things I have learned lately.
  • Leopard frogs (and most frogs or toads) use their eyes to aid in swallowing. This happens because when they swallow their eyes retract into their oral cavity. The eye helps push the food down the esophagus. An eye can also help anchor and manipulate the food as the tongue is being repositioned. The frog can use both eyes or just one in independent motions.
  • A specific kind of snake called a threadsnake does not swallow its prey in the normal fashion. The threadsnake has a triple-jointed jaw. Its mouth is located on the bottom of its body. The bottom jaw is seperated into two pieces and acts like a swinging door to rotate very quickly and push the prey into the mouth. This is a feeding mechanism known as mandibular raking.
  • Many snakes eat other snakes that are equal to their own length or longer. How is this possible? When ingesting another snake the prey snake's body is pushed into a wave shape. You can actually see wave bumps on the outside of the predator snake's body.

I wonder what I am going to learn next week.

1 comment:

Callie and Jordan said...

I am thrilled that you are so excited about this new knowledge. But after reading this post I have realized that I don't like reptiles... especially snakes that eat other snakes 8[. I am glad that I didn't read this while I was eating!