Our little Jade is wonderful in many ways but she has never mastered sleeping through the night. For 8 months I have slept completly through the night I think may be three times. This past week we finally decided to let her cry it out. We hadn't done this because of two things 1 - She slept in our closet because we didn't want her to wake Layla up. We only have a 2 bedroom apartment. 2 - Our neighbors would pound on the wall when she would cry.
Last week after getting up 4 times to feed a 20 pound 8 month old we decided we had had enough. She is plenty big and plenty old to sleep through the night. For several days Layla and I switched places. I slept in Layla's bed with Jade in the crib. We were in the middle bedroom so it wouldn't disturb the neighbors. Layla slept in my bed. The first night was hard Jade cried from 2 AM to 4 AM. But then the next three nights she cried a little around 4 AM but went back to sleep. I didn't feed her at all between 10 PM and 6 AM.
Now the next step was to move Layla back into her bed. For three nights now both girls have sleeping in the same room. The first two nights were bad. Layla woke up crying one night and woke the baby up. We moved Layla into our room. Jade cried for about an hour. The second night Jade woke up and cried from 4:30 AM to 5:30 AM before going back to sleep. Poor Dave had to get up at 5:30 AM so he basically woke up at 4:30 AM. Last night Jade cried several times and I gave in and fed her at 2:30 AM so she wouldn't wake up Layla. Amazingly Layla didn't wake up even though Jade was really loud several times during the night.
We are a little bit troubled with what to do. Moral of the story get a three bedroom place when you have two kids. We will make it work.
4 comments:
That's rough. I don't even have any great advice either. Cayden and Ethan shared their room when Cayden was a baby and the only plus is that Ethan is a very heavy sleeper. When Cayden would wake up I would just go sit by his crib until he fell asleep. It stunk but eventually it will get better! Good luck! :)
We've only got a two bedroom as well, and I was scared of every step of getting them into the same room and sleeping through the night. I finally just realized if it was going to happen, we'd have to make it happen. There were some rough spots, but now they go to sleep at the same time and sleep through the night. And if one wakes up crying, the other one usually sleeps through it or goes back to sleep quickly. Good luck. Sleep is a wonderful thing when everyone is getting some!
I love the new background and title spot on your blog, very cute! I am sorry sleeping is not really happening as well as it could be over there! love ya!
We moved Isaac and Sam into the same room that young, and we did it, but I can't remember how. I think alot of frustration. Needless to say, we waited a few years to have our 3rd ;). Well, it's hard, but one day it will all be a vague memory for you too.
Post a Comment