August 1, 2010

A week without Dave


Dave is a very important guy. This has become very apparent this past week when he has been gone in NM. I never realized how hard it is to juggle two little girls with no breaks. It seems that when one stops whining (Layla) the other starts to cry (Jade). But I feel as though I have finally figured out a nice routine for us and just know that over this next month my main job is to keep the two little ones as happy as possible. So I was feeling some peace without Dave around. Then at church today I was informed that Layla hit two other kids. I know that she is acting out a little bit because Dave is gone, she has a new baby sister and things just don't seem as stable. But hitting will not by tolerated by this mom! So I talked with Layla about it and asked why she hit. She told me she was "mad." I asked her why she was mad and she said "Where is Daddy? I love him." It melted my heart. But regardless missing your dad is no excuse for hitting. I don't know where she learned to hit. I am convinced that it is some instinct because I don't think she has seen it anywhere. I think Layla will need a lot of love, some strict time outs and more consistency to get through this next month. Jade needs milk all the time and she is happy. I will need a lot of ice cream. We miss you Dave but are proud of your hard work in New Mexico.


5 comments:

Jeni said...

It's so tough when daddy is gone! Good luck girl I know you can do it!

Dave said...

I didn't know Layla said that! Waaaaahhh!

Debbie said...

Cara, it sounds you are an awesome mother. I hope that I can be like you someday. I think that your observation about hitting being an instinct is dead on. Not that I know anything about children, but I have been working in nursery for a while and SO many kids hit. I think almost all of them. I think that when they are learning how to communicate, and it is the best thing that they can think of at times to get their point across. Layla is a darling little girl. how sweet that she loves dave so much. Seriously brought a tear to my eye.

Brenna said...

PRECIOUS!!!! I'm sure it warms Dave's heart to know he's so needed! I can't wait to come back to CO to help you out a bit! We can play!

Steph Price said...

hehe good job Cara! I feel for you and I miss you guys and wish I was closer to help out. But... I have to admit that it is HYSTERICAL that Layla hit not only one kid, but 2. haha Good luck! You are an all-star.