July 2, 2010

Jade is Here!





It is horrible that we haven't added any posts since March. Especially because we have had significant events in our life. The biggest thing that has happened since March is the birth of Jade.
On Wednesday June 16th Dave and I were having a fairly normal day. Our old Swaggin Wagon broke down on the previous Sunday and we spent the morning picking it up from a mysterious mechanic named Muhhamed. We never actually met Muhhamed rather we communicated with him via his "employee" a small Mexican man who was always at the garage. Anyway we got the car and had an uneventful day.

At about 5:20 PM I was getting ready to go to my YW's meetings and stood up to print off some forms. When I stood up I felt as though my water had broken but I wasn't sure. We did some tests to make sure it was amniotic fluid (although our tests didn't involve litmus paper don't think we didn't try. We just happened to be out of litmus paper from my last experiment). After we were fairly sure my water had broken we called the doctor, called my mom, my friend Katie who took Layla and headed for the hospital.



When we arrived at the hospital I still wasn't having any contractions and was unsure if I was going to be allowed to Vbac it or be in for another C-Section. But regardless we thought we were going to be in for a long night. The nurse checked us in and left the room. By about 8:30 PM I was having contractions strong enough that I didn't like them and wanted an epidural. Unfortunately, for me I hadn't been on the IV long enough to get an epidural. At about 9:00 PM the nurse checked my cervix for the first time since I had arrived at the hospital and I was already dilated to a 6! By 10:00 PM I had the epidural and by 10:30-11:00 I was fully dilated. We had to wait for the doctor to arrive before I could push. But that was OK because I couldn't feel anything. Thank you epidural! The doctor arrived by 12:00 AM and Jade was born at 12:26 AM on June 17th! She was three week and one day early so technically she was a preemie. She weighed 5 lbs 15 ounces. But by two weeks old she is already up to 6 lbs 7 ounces.


We have been loving having Jade as part of our family. She is a feisty newborn. She will squawk and grunt, groan and flap all around when she is hungry. We are all adjusting to life with a newborn. Layla loves taking care of Jade. She loves her sister. But sometimes tells her to "move" (like when Jade is nursing) and to "get up". Layla doesn't like it when anyone is sleeping. We are excited for Dave to have three weeks off which starts on Monday. It will be good to have him around more.

We feel so blessed to have two healthy girls. They bring us lots of joy and love.

9 comments:

Jeni said...

Congratulations you guys!!! She is beautiful and though I knew she was already here, thanks to Facebook and your mom Cara I'm glad to see pictures!

jasonandjodie said...

Congratulations! I'm glad you were still able to have a VBAC - doesn't it make such a difference in recovery? Glad to hear everyone's healthy and adjusting well.

Barb: said...

Welcome, Jade! I love the pictures--she is so cute! And the burrito picture of Jade and Layla really made me smile. Congratulations!

C said...

LOVE the last picture!!! She's precious! Congratulations!

Stacy said...

Oh my goodness, those are such stinking cute pics!!! We should talk sometime, I had my water brake too and wasn't sure what the heck was going on, and got my epidural just in time with my last, but I would take it for that last hour of ease waiting for the doc too ;)

Meli O. said...

Congrads that is so exciting!! Super cute girlies.

Ken and Cari said...

Wow, you have another one!! Congrats!! It has been forever!! Dave, can you give your wife my email, I can't find hers and I really want to catch up weichert.cari@gmail.com

Thanks!! and congrats!!!

Debbie said...

I like your heading and it was good to see you yesterday!

Ken and Cari said...

Happy Birthday Cara!!! I hope you have a great one today. I don't have your email anymore. Mine is weichert.cari@gmail.com. This is Cari Ballard by the way, the name change throws people from my past :) Love you and miss you!!! and congrats on your new little one!!!