January 2, 2010

Help! I Can't Get Rid of my Cold

We had a great Christmas this year. We celebrated with my family on the Sunday before Christmas and with Dave's family on Christmas Day. But our festivies have been tempered by colds. Layla came down with a cold on Christmas Eve. She was not happy and would not interact with any of her cousins or aunts and uncles. When we sat down for Christmas Eve dinner she wouldn't come to dinner. Instead she sat in the corner with her back to everyone and read books. On Christmas day she hid behind me during the presents. Which was kind of nice for me because she rubbed my back and played with my hair the whole time. Then wanted me to hold her the rest of the day.

I started feeling sick on the Saturday after Christmas and felt really bad for about 2 days. But since then I have had a low level cold that knocks me down but doesn't knock me out. I am to the point where I have a constant cough and can't sleep very well because coughing wakes me up. Layla seems like she is getting better but she coughs too.

I need some coughing relief. Does anyone have suggestions so I can sleep?

8 comments:

Jeni said...

I've heard if you put vicks vapor rub on your feet and put socks on before bed it helps you cough less. I haven't needed to try it but a few of my friends swear by it! I hope you feel better!

cara said...

Really? That sounds crazy, I just might try it. My almost doctor husband will probably roll his eyes but I think it is worth a try.

Keri said...

The only thing that works for me is Organic Throat Coat tea. It is the best! I get it at King Soopers.

Stacy said...

Hey I tried the throat coat along time ago when I was single and lived with a health nut, it worked pretty good. A year ago before I had Adriana I had a one month cough, so terrible! Good luck

Jeni said...

let me know if it works!

Ken and Cari said...

Yuck, that sounds horrible, lots of Nyquil, it usually works for me.

cara said...

I tried the vapor rub on my feet. My good friend Brenna brought some over for me to try. I did sleep better. But I also rubbed it under my nose which I think is the real reason I slept better.

C said...

also try sleeping with a humidifier or TWO in your room. The added humidty will help keep everything loose, and your throat from getting too dry.