October 8, 2009

I love my class!

The other day I was thinking about the purpose of a blog. Sometimes I am embarrassed to write the things that I am really thinking or what really goes on during my day. I realized that if I could blog about anything, I want to blog about the evolution class that I am taking. I love it! I wish I could talk with more people about what I am learning. This is probably the result of it being an online class so I miss the student to student interactions. But regardless I learn really random things all the time. Things that make me think, appreciate science, appreciate God and increase my critical thinking skills. Lately I have been thinking about why fish don't chew. The teleost are in infraclass in which most modern fish fit. They don't chew. They swallow their prey whole. Weird for us terrestrial animals since chewing is an important part of our meal. But I think they don't chew because fish lack the ability to hold onto their prey and they live in the water. So if they took a bite the rest of the prey would float away. That would stink to have your meal float away from you as you were in the middle of it. Interestingly the hagfish (not a teleost) wraps itself into a knot and pulls at is body to create suction so it is able to take little bites. But the poor hagfish lacks a bottom jaw and therefore eating is probably hard. This is the mouth of a hagfish if you are curious.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

cool! that is super interesting. you can always tell me about what you are learning! I don't know much about biology but it sounds great!

Stacy said...

Every now and again I blog about some documentary that impressed me. I don't get to many comments...but I think it's interesting and I never thought of fish loosing half their meal but I will next time I scuba dive...Fish with teeth are scary though, like sharks :).
Anyways, I don't know what my blog is about half the time, but it should reflect you and noone was made dumber by reading yours :).