July 22, 2009

July Happenings

With Layla's mobility and intense interest in computers it is hard to blog. I can look at things but she often wants to help me type and that is just disaster for blogging. So sorry our blog has turned into monthly updates on what we are doing.

July has been a fun month full of family. We went hiking on July 3rd in Eldorado Springs State Park which is just South of Boulder. We loved being outdoors and close to Boulder again. Dave and I took turns carrying Layla on our backs. Even though we have pretty good backpack it is still hard work.
We celebrated forth of July in Loveland with the Prices and as always had a great time. We love going there for the company, the food and help with Layla from Grandma and Grandpa. My birthday is on Saturday. We are looking forward to going to the Dragon Boat Festival with our friends. We also try to see the new Harry Potter some time this week. All right on to some individual updates.
Layla has become a little girl full of personality. Many people comment on how tall she is all the crazy faces she makes. She definitely makes her needs known either by shaking her head yes and no or making a horrible face when she doesn't like something. She has been working on mastering the spoon. She can say "Mom", "Daddy", "this", and "more" consistently. I have also heard her say "duck", "that", "hot", and "drink." But she is not consistent with those words. She is cruising more and can stand on her own. But is not walking. She starts physical therapy next week. Her pediatrician thought this would be beneficial.
Me The first week of July I was busy finishing my school work for the summer. Then I helped with a surprise party for my sister. After that I helped to throw a baby shower for my other sister. So this week I don't really have anything to do and I am enjoying unscheduled time. I am also training for a half marathon and am up to 6 miles. Next week I try to tackle 7 miles.
Dave worked at Denver Health for the first part of the month in Neurology. He spent a lot of time with stroke and epileptic patients. One of his patients died not from anything he did but he was involved with her care. Now he is in the Psych ward at Children's Hospital. So far he has worked with teenagers who have rage and depression issues. He enjoys the variety of rotations. Layla and I enjoy it when he is home. On Saturday he shaved his head to help deal with the heat which all of us dislike.

3 comments:

Jamie & Ryan said...

I am of the opinion that Ryan doesn't look so good with a bald head either. He did it once when we were dating. I threatened that I would leave him if he ever did it again - joking, of course - but he must have believed me because he hasn't done it again since! :)

The Walkers said...

Cara,

Found your blog from facebook. Hope all is well!

Kelli (McNierney) Walker

kathytarullo said...

I enjoyed my hike with you and Layla this week!