July 22, 2009

5 Years

On July 7 I realized that I have been home from my mission for five years.

I have always set long term goals and they usually extend about five years. When I graduated from high school I set a five year plan for myself and went about accomplishing those goals (get my BS, foreign travel and serve a mission). That period ended when I returned home from mission. At which time I set more goals. These included to get married (check), to travel more (check), to have a baby if I got married (check) and to develop skills that would ensure me a place in employment if I needed to work (check). But I have thought more about my past goals and realized that I need to set smaller personal goals that will help bring me closer to God. So I have been thinking about my life in the past five years and the spiritual improvements that I have made. I can do better. During these next five years I am still going to set goals; but I want to include the small truly meaningful things too. Here is a sneak at what I will work for in the next five years.

1 - Attend the temple on a monthly basis
2 - Do something nice for my husband everyday
3 - Keep my body in 6 mile running condition, control my sugar intake
4 - Teach my children good habits from the start (learning, accountability, responsibility, testimony, fun)
5 - Start and maintain a journal that records the spiritual things I experience with a specific focus on knowledge that there is God
6 - Have two more kids
7 - Finish my Master's degree

I guess I have learned that life is not just about what you can do. Rather it is about who you have become.