Dave is in a protracted war of attrition with the Financial Aid department over at the medical school. Cara wants to be a stay at home mom, at least for the first few years, but the Federal office of Higher Education and Loans or Whatever will only give additional loan consideration for childcare if the child is enrolled in a daycare. They won't help you out if you want to raise your own kid, they'd rather pay you to have strangers raise them. What's more, because Cara won't be working, we need the extra funds more than a family where both parents ARE working, even IF they have to pay for daycare. I had a long conversation with an advisor about it, and she got kind of exasperated with me, and finally told me flat out that she thought I made an unwise decision in choosing to start a family at this point in my life. So the protracted battle became a Cold War on two fronts: one with Financial Aid and then another one with the Human Resources Department. One of my friends at school offered to print out some papers pretending to be a daycare, in order to help us get the loan. If I were a criminal mastermind, I would be able to swing some way to make it work, but in reality we'll probably just end up not buying any new clothes for the next four years and making our own baby food out of edible weeds growing in the vacant field across the freeway from our apartment.
I just noticed in this blog I switch between 3rd and 1st person quite a bit, sometimes saying "Dave" and sometimes saying "I." Ostensibly, it's because this is both Cara's and Dave's blog, and so Dave wants all of you to think that it's the both of us who are writing it, when in reality, it's mostly me. Dave. Or Cara. Hah! Now you'll never know.
Call or email us! We'd love to hear from all of you!
4 comments:
Hi Cara and Dave!
Sorry to hear about the financial aid situation. Those FAFSA folks can be downright brutal. I sarted to call you, Cara, last Sunday but then I realised it was Sunday anf figured you would be very busy. I will call again, though. Kudos on teh tough stance against frilly pink girl clothes. A trip to the baby section at any store is reminiscent of Pepto Bismol. I love the idea of the red dragon blanket. Oh, you Tarullos are so creative!
Glad to hear that everything's going well! Oh how I remember the 3rd trimester. Good luck making it through the waddle stage. :)
Hey Dave! I saw your mom yesterday! She made Braiden a cute quilt too. I hope Cara's feeling okay- you guys are getting down to the final stretch! Sorry about the FAFSA stuff. I remember one of Marc's professors made him take a test the day after Eric was born- he didn't do that well on it! Sometimes you just get dumb people in positions of power!
Yeah, she came to see my mom w/ Gpa and Marilyn for a week. They all looked great! I was up there in PA visiting my fam while Marc was on some business trips. It was great to see them!
Post a Comment