So, we have been accumulating baby stuff over the past little while... we have a crib, a stroller, a carseat, a snugli, and a handfull of sets of clothes our little unborn girl got for Christmas. And, may I just (this is Dave talking, Cara takes no responsibility for this post) take this opporunity to vehemently oppose the supreme overabundance of pink, flimsy, and lacy baby girl clothes? We have a few girly outfits so far, and they are great: green and yellow, more funky than frilly. Thanks to all you who gave them to us. But, other than those, holy cow! Every time I go out anywhere, all I see are pastels or heinous floral things. I don't want my daughter looking like a poof of cotton candy, and I don't want to raise a princess! I've found some cool stuff online (the little shirts that said "President, not Princess" and "Doctor, not Diva" were my favorite) but they are all $25-50$ a pop, and we don't have that kind of cash. I won't pay more than 5 bucks for a t-shirt for MYSELF. It seems to me that, aside from the fact that a little baby doesn't care what she's wearing, that frills and lace would just get all dirty and in the way. Where are the solid, sturdy clothes they can get all messy in? In colors that aren't pastel? Grrr. So what if strangers can't tell if she's a boy or a girl? If they care that much, they can ask me. I think I'm gonna take all her onsies and dye them black, and then write "I'm a GIRL" in white-out across the front.
January 12, 2008
Baby girl clothes
So, we have been accumulating baby stuff over the past little while... we have a crib, a stroller, a carseat, a snugli, and a handfull of sets of clothes our little unborn girl got for Christmas. And, may I just (this is Dave talking, Cara takes no responsibility for this post) take this opporunity to vehemently oppose the supreme overabundance of pink, flimsy, and lacy baby girl clothes? We have a few girly outfits so far, and they are great: green and yellow, more funky than frilly. Thanks to all you who gave them to us. But, other than those, holy cow! Every time I go out anywhere, all I see are pastels or heinous floral things. I don't want my daughter looking like a poof of cotton candy, and I don't want to raise a princess! I've found some cool stuff online (the little shirts that said "President, not Princess" and "Doctor, not Diva" were my favorite) but they are all $25-50$ a pop, and we don't have that kind of cash. I won't pay more than 5 bucks for a t-shirt for MYSELF. It seems to me that, aside from the fact that a little baby doesn't care what she's wearing, that frills and lace would just get all dirty and in the way. Where are the solid, sturdy clothes they can get all messy in? In colors that aren't pastel? Grrr. So what if strangers can't tell if she's a boy or a girl? If they care that much, they can ask me. I think I'm gonna take all her onsies and dye them black, and then write "I'm a GIRL" in white-out across the front.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dave, you don't know me but I'm friends with Cara. I have a 7 month-old baby boy and it is true that people must know the sex of your baby. We don't dress him in blue with trucks, tractors, and baseball themes and people wonder all the time what sex he is (it's not like he's in pink either). I think people do it to avoid the question, like it's embarrassing. I find a lot of Sam's clothes at thrift stores. Babies grow out of clothes so fast they don't get worn or dirty, you usually have a wide variety, and there are always greens, yellows, etc. Kris (my husband) is on a quest for black baby clothes, and we have acquired one item from american apparel. good luck!
Congratulations on your little addition, My sister is having a little one too soon. I got them two baby outfits from "Hot Topic" my favorite had a Picture of Chewbacka and said "Change me I smell like a Wookie"
They got a laugh at it during Christmas.
Post a Comment