November 10, 2009
I'm a spider killer
We live in a bottom floor apartment with lots of bushes outside our windows. This situation inevitably brings spiders into our apartment. I don't like them inside and will kill them when they are seen. If Dave is home I try to get him to kill them. A few mornings ago I got Layla up and noticed she had a little spider bite on her hand. It wasn't a big deal and went away within 24 hours. However, this little spider bite made me feel particularly revengeful towards spider. Today I was picking up a little bit and I heard Layla cry out excitedly "Ohhh!" I looked over and she was pointing to a spider crawling across the floor. So I did what I always do, I grabbed a shoe and smashed that spider to death. I looked over at Layla when I had done it and she had these big curious eyes looking at me. Her eyes where saying "What did you do? Why did you kill that spider?" She walked over to the spider carcass and tried to poke until it moved again. I felt really bad. I told her it was yucky and picked up with toilet paper to throw it away. But I can't stop feeling guilty because I showed my daughter how to kill a little creature she was curious about. It just kind of makes me feel bad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's really funny. And I totally understand--spiders don't belong in the house! But how do you keep the "killing" idea away from a child for as long as possible? Recently we were trying to get rid of box elder bugs on our house and we sprayed them with soapy water. It kills them, but I prefer to say we're just "giving them a bath." Yikes.
This blog is really funny! I wanted to kill the snake in my house so don't feel bad about the spiders! However, next time you might just want to throw it outside if Layla is with you.
Don't feel bad Cara because I would do that if I was you. But don't feel guilty, she's a baby, she needs to learn how to kill spiders. That is kind of frightening and funny. Caylee
Life's paradox. Is this my space or yours? Well, people kill spiders because some are bad. I have just taught my kids not to kill bugs outside. It's only allowed in the house for good reason. When I was young I used to take them out. But now I don't, I'm afraid of loosing them and I don't want them on my kids. Ask me about my mouse experience in my young idealistic days sometime, it will make you laugh. You're being a natural mom. We're like Momma grizzlies, nature made us that way.
Post a Comment