May 14, 2009

May Updates

So far May has been a busy month for us. Here are a few updates with what all three of us are doing.

Dave's Updates: Dave started his 3rd year rotations. Basically for the next 18 months he will be sampling all the different medical specialties. Currently he will work a few weeks in pediatric private practice, then do joints, then back to pediatrics in a hospital, followed by psychiatry. So I never really know his schedule and when he will be home. He thinks it is fun and really enjoys pediatrics but not radiology. PBS has a really great special called the Doctors' Diaries which follows several doctors for 20 years as they progress from medical student to full fledged doctors. I have just begun to watch it. But so far what I have seen gives an interesting and true perspective. Here is the link if you would like to watch it. http://www.pbs.org/video/video/1114402491/program/979359664

Dave also celebrated his 27th birthday yesterday. We had calzones and an intense chocolate cake. We are going to go to Water World later this month to really celebrate. I love him so much.

Cara's Updates: I started a master's program this week. It has always been a goal of mine to get a master's degree in biology. I didn't think I would be able to do this for several years because of kids and Dave being in school etc. But, I found a great program through the University of Nebraska which offers a program that is all online. So I applied, was accepted and now I am in my first class. I am taking a class called Biology Perspectives which basically talks about the major advances in biology throughout the centuries. I love it! I love being a student again. I love working towards one of my life's goals. I even love watching the lectures and doing the homework.

Layla's Updates: Layla has been a busy bee. She has really progressed a lot in the last few weeks. She went from just sitting around to being an active and engaging little girl. She can crawl and is beginning to pull herself up to standing. She loves to dance and will often dance when she hears music or sees other people dancing. She moves through our whole apartment exploring everything. One of her new favorite past times is to go outside. She has learned how to open and shut the screen door and crawl outside onto our little porch. Layla is so fun! I love being at home with her and watching her learn and grow.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I am so happy for you Cara! I think that it is so awesome that you are working towards your goals!

Jamie & Ryan said...

Happy 27th, Dave! You and Ryan are a couple of old farts! :)

And congrats to you, Cara! I know that sometimes I can be whiney about being a student again, but I really love it too. There is something so satisfying about working toward and accomplishing your educational goals. Good luck with your program!