I enjoy planning weekly menus for Dave, Layla and I. But, it is often hard to find recipes and think of new ideas that are healthy and flavorful. We try really hard to eat a lot of vegetables, whole grains and very little meat. When we do eat meat it is usually turkey in some form or occasionally pork. So as you can imagine after almost three years of marriage I am beginning to run out of ideas.
However, I recently have found the best website for our style of eating. It is www.eatbetteramerica.com. It provides lots of options for healthy good food. It even has thinks like low-fat/low calorie cookies. Some of the recipes I have already tried Stuffed Vidalia Onions, Turkey and Spinach Manicotti, and Veggie Burger Pitas. All of them have turned out really well. This next week I am going to try Sicillian Fusilli, Peking Chicken Wraps and Sesame Vegetable Stir-Fry. If you are interested I advise checking it out.
Dave has been studying geriatrics in school. He learned something interesting that has impacted me a little bit. He learned that a 75 year old athlete who has consistently been active their whole lives has the same performance (what I mean by that is how their body is able to function daily) as a nonactive 25 year old. Isn't that crazy? He had a graph that showed how much an active lifestyle can improve your overall health. Can you imagine being 75 and at the same level of ability of some 25 year olds. While I was jogging this week I found myself chanting "I want to be 25 at 75!" This helped keep me going.
7 comments:
http://www.greenereating.blogspot.com/ here is another site that you can look at for great healthy eats...my sister in law loves it!!!
This blog is helpful for planning weekly menus. They may have more meat than you tend to eat, but there are loads of good suggestions and general tips for cooking/planning for a family. We don't cook meat at all and I find some of her ideas helpful. Glad you're well! thisweekfordinner.com
Jenn
I want to be 25 at 75 also!
Good for you Cara! That is awesome!
You're so cute, Cara! It's really true. My ballet teacher was over 80 years old (and now she's nearly 90) and had so much energy... more than some of us 15-year olds! She's still active, giving class and conducting reherasals to this day!
I have a 75 year old friend that could kick my butt on a bike. I don't think she runs, but she is the oldest of about 6 and is by far the healthiest and gets around the most. I really look up to her. But I think most of her activity has been since she's about 30 plus. She eats pretty darn healthy though. No butter or salt in her house to save your life. I stayed with her for a couple of months when I was 22 and I think that's the healthies I have ever felt. I hated snack time, but she eats really healthy, really healthy. Good luck, your setting a really good example for Leyla.
Good for you for trying to eat healthy! Ken and I need to be better about that!
Post a Comment